Skip to Main Content

Common Questions

How long is the program?
The PhD program requires a minimum of four full-time pre-internship years. In addition, students must complete a one-year internship. While the PhD degree can be completed within five years; typically, six to seven years is the average length of study. Students pay tuition for the first four years. Students are eligible to apply for internship after passage of a Preliminary Qualifying Comprehensive Exam, submission of Master's thesis for publication, and approval of a dissertation proposal. Once the dissertation proposal is approved, up to three additional years are allowed for the completion of all requirements for the PhD degree (i.e., completion of the dissertation and its defense, and the internship year).

What type of funding is available to PhD students?
All current doctoral students have been admitted with a 50% tuition waiver for the four years that students pay tuition.  At the time an offer of admission is extended, details on extended financial support will be described in the offer.  Research assistantships are also available in labs with current grant funding, and there are teaching assistantships and other work study positions available both within the department and throughout the school to supplement the 50% tuition waiver.  Examples of work study positions include managing departmental technology resources and assisting the director of clinical training.  

When should I apply?
We begin accepting applications in September. All materials must be postmarked no later than December 31. The interview process begins in March.

Do I have to take the Advanced Psychology GRE for the application?
The Advanced Psychology GRE is only required for those students who are not undergraduate Psychology majors or have a Masters degree in a non-Psychology discipline.

When do classes start?

Can I transfer into the program?
The College of Health Professions does not accept transfer students. On a case by case basis, the admissions committee will review graduate coursework to award credit.

How can I get in touch with the Admissions Office?
Email us:
Call us: 847-578-3204
Our address:
Rosalind Franklin University
CHP Admissions
3333 Green Bay Road
North Chicago, IL 60064

How do I use Interfolio to send my letters of recommendation?
Please follow these instructions on how to upload letters from Interfolio to an online application system.