Skip to Main Content

Common Questions

Connect with CHP

How long does it take to complete the Nutrition for Health Professionals certificate?

The Nutrition for Health Professionals certificate program can be completed in one year by taking one course a quarter. Flexible completion allows students in certificate programs up to four years to complete their program. For more information on the degree requirements, please refer to the Program Completion information on the program webpage.

Is an online program right for me?

Our online programs are developed with career enhancement in mind. RFU online coursework can fit into most any schedule. Our faculty members are experts in distance teaching and learning. Students go through orientation and training for their program, making online learning accessible even for those who are trying it for the first time. Our online students, just like those on campus, receive ongoing, individualized guidance and counseling to help achieve professional goals. 

Who should I contact with questions about my application?

If you have questions about the status of your application, or about the admissions process please call the general university admissions office at 847-578-3204.

How long is the application process?

Applications are accepted on a rolling basis and students are enrolled into department programs every quarter. Completion of the application process depends on the amount of time it takes for all of your documents to be submitted and verified. If you believe your application is complete, but have not received an email to verify that, we recommend you check in with the schools that are sending your transcripts, and with the people who are providing your letters of recommendation. Once you confirm that these items have been sent and you still haven’t received an email that your application has been completed, you may want to contact our admissions office at 847-578-3204.

What is the process after my application is received by RFU?

Once your application, supporting materials, and fee are received, you will receive an email to let you know your application is complete. The completed application is then forwarded for review by the department admissions committee and a recommendation is made to accept or deny admission. You will receive an admissions decision notification by email.

How long does it take to make a decision about my application?

A decision on the completed application will be made in two to three weeks.

What happens if I am accepted into the program?

If you are accepted into a program at the university, you will receive an acceptance email and documents that need to be returned to our admission’s office. If you have any questions about these documents, please contact the admissions office at 847-578-3204. Once the university receives your declaration of intent and deposit, you will receive an email with your username and password along with directions to our single sign-on portal, HelixNet. This portal will provide you access to the different systems that you will use as a student at the university.

Does the university follow a quarter or semester system?

The online education programs at the university follow a quarter system. The quarters are 10 weeks long, with breaks between quarters. There is also a winter break. Click here to see the university’s academic calendar.

Are there a minimum number of courses I will have to enroll in each quarter?

Students follow program track plans for either one or two courses a quarter. To be eligible for financial aid, you will need to enroll in at least six credit hours per quarter, and that typically corresponds to at least two courses.

What happens if I cannot take any courses during a quarter?

We understand that sometimes there is a reason that a student may not be able to enroll in courses. When this happens, you will need to submit a request for a Leave of Absence to maintain continuous enrollment. A Leave of Absence is flexible with a maximum duration of one year.

How do I register for classes?

You will register for classes via Self-Service (Ellucian Colleague), which requires a university username and password to access. Be sure you are in touch with your academic advisor before you register. You will be expected to register every quarter and maintain continuous enrollment. Contact the Department office at 847-578-8315 if you have questions about registering for classes.

What is the total tuition and fees for online programs?

You can find the current costs and fees for all degrees offered by Rosalind Franklin University here.

Do you offer a payment plan, and how does it work?

You can find information about the RFU Payment Plan here.  For more information about the payment pay option, please call 847-578-8790.

What methods of payment do you accept for tuition?

You can pay your tuition bill by credit card or electronic check, or send a paper check to the address shown on your tuition statement. For more information click here.

What kind of time commitment should I expect to make?

On average, students spend 7 – 10 hours a week on a course.

Will I have to be online during a specific time?

For the most part, our course work is asynchronous, meaning students are not required to be online at a specific time. Some instructors incorporate synchronous activities, such as presentations in their courses and they work with students to find convenient times that work for all parties.

Is there any specific software I will need to participate in the program?

You will need Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Adobe Reader. You may also want to invest in anti-virus software to protect your computer.

What type of help and support does the school offer?

Any service that is available to our on-campus students is available to online students. The syllabus for each course is a good place to look for this information and it is also found on InSite, the University’s internal website.

What are the hours of Student Services?

The various Student Services Departments office hours are 8:30 a.m. until 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. You can call them during these hours or email them any time at:

  • Admissions – 847-578-3204
  • Academic Support – 847-578-8354
  • Financial Aid and Student Billing Office – 847-578-3217 or
  • Registrar’s Office – 847-578-3228
  • Student Insurance – 847-578-3217

Student Counseling Service is available to distance students. Click here for more information.

Where can I find the application?

You can access the application here.