Chicago Medical School
In this section
About the Program
Northwestern Medicine’s mission, vision and values are the heart of the organization and the core philosophy about our care and community service. They describe how we take care of our patients, how we ensure the healthcare future of the Greater McHenry County area, and what we expect from our associates, physicians, resident trainees and volunteers. We take our responsibility to the people we serve seriously and reflect these values when we are training competent caring lifelong learners and practitioners of medicine.
Mission: We inspire and engage our community in their health and wellness.
Vision: To be the community leader for a better life.
Values: We commit to serving with genuine respect, passionate caring and a joyful spirit.
Our residency program will prepare you to be a competent internist, whether you would like to be a general internist practicing both in the outpatient and inpatient settings, an inpatient hospitalist, or wish to further train as a sub-specialist. In our residency you will train in much the same manner as you would work as an internist once you finish your residency.
Services and Benefits
Residents at Northwestern Medicine McHenry Hospital have access to the following services:
- Free parking
- Free lunches
- 30 days of annual leave
- Farthest travel within residency is 20 minutes
- Night call only on night float (two 2-week blocks or 12 nights in two weeks of 7pm to 7am)
- No overnight call except when on night medicine rotation
- Fulfillment of electives for all sub-specialty rotations
- Educational stipend ($700) for three years
- Research support to present paper/poster (up to $1,500)
- All medical premiums for trainee and family are provided by the school
- Life insurance policy provided by the school
- Program provides all trainees with AMA and ACP memberships