In this section
Walid F. Khayr, MD
Dr. Walid Khayr received his degree from American University of Beirut, Lebanon, in 1985. He completed his residency in internal medicine there. In 1988, he moved to Chicago where he completed an infectious disease fellowship at the University of Illinois at Chicago.
Dr. Khayr joined the Chicago Medical School faculty in 1993. He has been program director of the Infectious Disease Fellowship and medical director of the physician assistant department since 1996. He has been a professor of medicine since 2005. In 2002, he won the CMS Department of Medicine James B. Hammond Humanitarian Award.
Dr. Khayr is currently the Infectious Disease Section Chief at the Lovell Federal Health Care Center (FHCC) in North Chicago. He is also the Assistant Chief Medical Executive (ACME) for Clinical Affairs and the interim ACME for Research at FHCC. Previously, he served as the ACME for Academic Affairs at FHCC.
Dr. Khayr is interested in healthcare-associated infections and antibiotic resistance. He has authored and co-authored multiple peer-reviewed publications in clinical epidemiology of resistant and emerging pathogens in acute and long-term healthcare settings. He also participated in several pharmaceutical industry-funded projects.
- Cherubin C, Appleman M, Heseltine P, Khayr W and Stratton C. Epidemiology spectrum and Current Treatment of Listeriosis. Review of Infectious Diseases. 1991; 13:1108-1114.
- Andersen, B and Khayr W. Tetanus: Diagnosis and Treatment. Hospital Medicine. 1991; 27:44-56
- Cherubin C and Khayr W. Clinical Syndromes of Human Listeriosis. Infectious Diseases Newsletter. 1991; 10:35-37.
- Khayr W R, Cherubin C E and Bleck T P. Listeriosis: Review of a Protean Disease. Infectious Diseases in Clinical Practice. 1992; 1:291-298.
- Hershow R, Khayr W and Smith N A. Comparison of Clinical Virulence of Nosocomial Acquired Methicillin-Resistant and Methicillin-Sensitive Staphylococcus aureus Infections in a University Hospital, Infection Control and Hospital Epidemiology. 1992; 13587-598.
- Alva E, Khayr W. Candida druseeei Sinusitis: A Brief Report. American Journal of Therapeutics. 1998; 5:121-123.
- Hershow R, Khayr W and Schreckenberger P Ciprofloxacin Resistance in Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus in a University Hospital. American Journal of Therapeutics. 1998; 5:287-94
- Khayr W, Snow K, Woodford M, Spillarddd K, Siebert A, Westrick K. Clostridium difficile -Associated Diarrhea in Acute and Long Term Care Facilities. American Journal of Therapeutics. 1998; 5:287-94
- Khayr W. Streptococcal Toxic Shock Syndrome: Epidemiology, Pathogenesis and Treatment. Hospital Medicine, 1999; 35:37-40
- Gluck H, Ssorresso DJ, Khayr WF. Antibiotic Usage in the Intensive Care Unit. Hospital Physician, Critical Care Medicine Board Review Manual. 1999; 4; 1-10.
- Khayr W, Waiter L Epidemiology of Ciprofloxacin-Resistant Pseudomonas aeruginosa in a VA Hospital. American Journal of Therapeutics. 2000; 7:309-12. 1996.