Shivaputra A. Patil, PhD
In this section
Shivaputra A. Patil, PhD, Research Assistant Professor of Pharmaceutical Sciences Department, joined the College of Pharmacy in November, 2014. Dr. Patil received his Doctor of Philosophy in Chemistry from the Karnatak University, India in 1998. He worked as Research Associate and Technical Officer at Imperial Chemical Industries India Ltd., New Bombay, India. In 2001, he commenced as National Research Foundation Fellow at university of Witwatersrand, Johannesburg, South Africa. He worked on NIH funded grants at City College of CUNY, New York and University of Tennessee Health Science Center (UTHSC), Memphis, USA. Dr. Patil became Research Assistant professor in 2010 and established drug design and discovery research driven by medicinal chemistry at UTHSC. He is a member of the American Chemical Society (ACS) since 2002. Dr. Patil has published his research in reputed organic, bio-organic and medicinal chemistry journals including book chapter(s). Dr. Patil serves as a reviewer for organic, bioorganic and medicinal chemistry related journals and he continues to serve as an editorial member for Organic Chemistry: Current Research and International Journal of Bioorganic Chemistry & Molecular Biology.
The major emphasis of my research is to design and develop novel chemotherapeutic agents for cancer which is one of the leading causes of deaths. My research on anticancer drug design and development is focused on initial hits produced either by screening processes or medicinal chemistry efforts. My research topics are at the interface of chemistry and biology. Therefore, I would like to collaborate with computational and biological researchers to continue my research in various new areas.
- Patil SA*, Patil SA, Patil R. Imidazoquinolines: Recent developments in anticancer activity. Mini-Reviews in Medicinal Chemistry, 2015 (accepted).
- Patil SA*, Patil SA, Patil R, Keri RS, Budagumpi S, Balakrishna GR, Tacke M. N-Heterocyclic carbene metal complexes as bioorganometallic antimicrobial and anticancer drugs. Future Med. Chem. 2015, 7 (10), 1305.
- Patil SA*, Patil SA, Patil R. Microwave-assisted synthesis of chromenes: Biological and chemical importance. Future Med. Chem. 2015, 7 (7), 893.
- Patil SA*, Pfeffer SR, Seibel WL, Pfeffer LM, Miller DD. Identification of potent imidazoquinoline derivatives as antiglioma agents from screening. Medicinal Chemistry, 2015, 11, 400.
- Nag S, Qin JJ, Voruganti S, Wang MH, Sharma H, Patil S, Buolamwini JK, Wang W, Zhang R. Development and validation of a rapid HPLC method for quantitation of SP-141, a novel pyrido[b]indole anticancer agent, and an initial pharmacokinetic study in mice. Biomed. Chromatogr., 2015, 29, 654.
- Patil R, Szabó E, Fells JI, Balogh A, Lim KG, Fujiwara Y, Norman DD, Lee SC, Balazs L, Thomas F, Patil S, Emmons-Thompson K, Boler A, Strobos J, McCool SW, Yates CR, Stabenow J, Byrne GI, Miller DD, Tigyi GJ. Combined Mitigation of the Gastrointestinal and Hematopoietic Acute Radiation Syndromes by an LPA2 Receptor-Specific Nonlipid Agonist. Chem Biol. 2015, 22, 206.
- Wang W, Qin J-J, Voruganti S, Srivenugopal KS, Nag S, Patil S, Sharma H, Buolamwini JK, Zhang R. A novel pyrido[b]indole MDM2 inhibitor, SP-141, exerts potent therapeutic effects in breast cancer models. Nature Communications, 2014, 5, 5086.
- McMillan JE, Bukiya AN, Patil SA, Miller DD, Dopico AM, Parrill AL. Multi-generational pharmacophore modeling for ligands to the cholane steroid-recognition site in the β1 modulatory subunit of the BKCa channel. Journal of Molecular Graphics and Modeling 2014, 54, 174.
- Wang W, Qin J-J, Voruganti S, Wang M-H, Sharma H, Patil S, Zhou J, Wang H, Mukhopadhyay D, Buolamwini JK, Zhang R. Identification of a new class of MDM2 inhibitor that inhibits growth of orthotopic pancreatic tumors in mice. Gastroenterology 2014, 147(4), 893.
- Patil R, Fells JI, Szabó E, Lim KG, Norman DB, Balogh A, Patil SA, Strobos J, Miller DD, Tigyi GJ. Design and synthesis of sulfamoyl benzoic acid analogs with subnanomolar agonist activity specific to the LPA2 receptor. Journal of Medicinal Chemistry 2014, 57(16), 7136.
- Patil R, Hosni-Ahmed A, Jones TS, Patil SA, Asres LB, Wang X, Yates RC, Geisert EE, Miller DD. Synthesis and in vitro evaluation of novel 1,2,3,4-tetrahydroisoquinoline derivatives as potent antiglioma agents. Anti-Cancer Agents in Medicinal Chemistry 2014, 14, 473.
- Nag S, Qin JJ, Patil S, Deokar H, Buolamwini JK, Wang W, Zhang R. A quantitative LC-MS/MS method for determination of SP-141, a novel pyrido[b]indole anticancer agent, and its application to a mouse PK study. J. Chromatogr. B Analyt. Technol. Biomed. Life Sci. 2014, 969C, 235.
- Ahmed AH, Sims M, Jones TS, Patil R, Patil S, Abdelsamed H,Yates CR, Miller DD, Pfeffer LM. EDL-360: A potential novel antiglioma agent. J. Cancer Sci. Ther. 2014, 6, 370.
- Patil SA*, Miller DD. (Editorial). Current trends in medicinal chemistry. Organic Chem. Curr. Res. 2013, 2, e124.
- Patil SA*, Patil R, Pfeffer LM, Miller DD. Chromenes: Potential new chemotherapeutic agents for cancer. Future Med. Chem. 2013, 5(14):1647.
- Patil SA*, Hosni-Ahmed A, Jones TS, Patil R, Pfeffer LM, Miller DD. Novel approaches to glioma drug design and drug screening. Expert Opin. Drug Discov. 2013, 8(9), 1135.
- Patil SA*, Patil R, Miller DD. Large conductance, calcium activated potassium (BK) channels as new therapeutic target for glioma. International Journal of Bioorganic Chemistry & Molecular Biology 2013, 1, 101.
- Bukiya A, McMillan J, Fedinec A, Patil S, Miller D, Leffler C, Parrill A, Dopico A. Cerebrovascular dilation via selective targeting of the cholane steroid-recognition site in the BK channel β1 subunit by a novel nonsteroidal agent. Mol. Pharmacol. 2013, 83(5), 1030.
- Bukiya AN, Patil SA, Li W, Miller DD, Dopico AM. Structural requirements in the steroid lateral chain for the activation of β1 subunit-containing BK channels by 5β-cholanic acid-3α-Ol analogues. Biophysical Journal 2013, 104(2), 472a.
- Patil SA*, Patil R, Miller DD. Indoles as tubulin polymersization inhibitors. Future Medicinal Chemistry 2012, 4(16), 2085.
- Patil SA* (Editorial) Role of medicinal chemist in the modern drug discovery and development. Organic Chem. Curr. Res. 2012, 1, e110.
- Mohler M, Cross C, Duke C, Patil S, Miller D, Dalton J. Androgen receptor antagonists: A patent review (2008-2011). Expert Opinion on Therapeutic Patents 2012, 22 (5), 541.
- Bukiya AN, Patil SA, Li W, Miller DD, Dopico AM. Calcium- and voltage-gated potassium (BK) channel activators in the 5β-cholanic acid-3α-ol analogue series with modifications in the lateral chain. ChemMedChem. 2012, 7(10), 1784.
- Wang XD, Freeman NE, Patil R, Patil S, Mitra S, Orr WE, Abner CW, Yates CR, Miller DD Geisert EE. EDL-291, a novel isoquinoline presents anti-glioblastoma effects in vitro and in vivo. Anti-Cancer Drugs 2012, 23(5), 494.
- Patil SA*, Wang J, Li XS, Chen J, Jones TS, Hosni- Ahmed A, Patil R, Seibel WL, Li W, Miller DD. New substituted 4H-chromenes as anti-cancer agents. Bioorg. Med. Chem. Lett. 2012, 22(13), 4458.
- Patil SA*, Patil R, Miller DD. Microwave-assisted synthesis of medicinally relevant indoles. Current Medicinal Chemistry 2011, 18, 615.
- Sharma H, Patil S, Neamati N, Schinazi RF, Buolamwini JK. Synthesis, biological evaluation and 3D-QSAR studies of 3-keto salicylic acid chalcones and related amides as novel HIV-1 integrase inhibitors. Journal of Bio-Organic and Medicinal Chemistry 2011, 19, 2030.
- Patil R, Patil S, Wang X, Ma F, Orr WE, Li W, Yates CR, Geisert EE, Miller DD. Synthesis and evaluation of new 1,2,3,4-tetrahydroisoquinoline analogs as antiglioma agents. Medicinal Chemistry Research 2011, 20(1), 131.