In this section
Patrick T Knott, PhD, PA-C
Dr. Knott is a physician assistant with over 30 years experience in orthopaedic surgery, specializing in pediatric spinal deformity. He joined the university in 1993, and has been a full-time faculty member since 1996, where he was the director of the PA Program for 17 years. He is a professor who has been tenured since 2006.
He earned his BS in biology from the University of Iowa, and then completed his PA training at Iowa’s College of Medicine. As he began his teaching career, he earned a Master’s Degree from Rosalind Franklin, and then a PhD in Organization and Management from Capella University in Minneapolis. He went on to complete a certificate program in organizational leadership at Harvard Business School’s Executive Education Program.
Dr. Knott has held leadership positions in the Illinois Academy of PA’s (Vice President), the Association of Postgraduate PA Programs (President), the Physician Assistant Education Association (President), the Society on Scoliosis, Orthopaedic and Rehabilitative Treatment (President), and is a Fellow of the Scoliosis Research Society.
His research interests include the identification of non-radiographic methods of spinal imaging in children with spinal deformity, and spinal motion analysis of children with orthopaedic and neurologic problems.
- Interim Dean, College of Health Sciences, Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science, 2021 to 2022.
- Professor, Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science, 2010 to present.
- Adjunct Faculty, Lake Forest College, 2020 to present.
- Vice President for Strategic Enrollment Management. Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science, 2013 to 2015.
- Adjunct Faculty, DePaul University, 2013 to present.
- Associate Vice President for Academic Affairs, Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science, 2012 to 2013.
- Associate Dean for Clinical and External Affairs, College of Health Professions, Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science, January 2005 to 2013.
- Associate Professor (with Tenure, 2006), Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science, 2001.
- Department Chairman, Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science; 1996 to 2013.
- Assistant Professor, Finch University of Health Sciences PA Program; 1996 to 2001.
- Clinical Assistant Professor, Finch University of Health Sciences PA Program; 1994 to 1996.
- Lecturer, Finch University of Health Sciences PA Program, 1993 to 1994.
- Certificate Course in Leadership. Harvard Business School, Boston, MA; January 2002.
- Ph.D. Organization and Management. Capella University, Minneapolis, MN; November, 2000.
- M.S. PA Studies Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science, North Chicago, IL; May 1996.
- B.S. Physician Assistant Program University of Iowa, College of Medicine, Iowa City, IA; May, 1988.
- B.S. Biology University of Iowa, College of Liberal Arts, Iowa City, IA; May, 1986.
- Fellow, Scoliosis Research Society, 2017 to present.
- Member, Society on Scoliosis, Orthopaedic and Rehabilitative Treatment (SOSORT), 2008 to present.
- President, 2014-15
- Secretary, 2011-13.
- Director at Large, 2009-11.
- Member, Physician Assistant Education Association (PAEA), 1997 to present.
- Accreditation Task Force, 2015-2016
- President, 2003-06.
- Treasurer, 2000-03.
- Chair, Transition Task Force 2003-06.
- Chair, Finance Committee, 2000-03.
- Nominations and Awards Committee, 2006 to 2010.
- Development Committee, 2000-05.
- Education Committee, 1997-00.
- Member, Association of Postgraduate PA Programs (APPAP), 1997 to present.
- President, 1998-00.
- Outstanding Educator Award – Rosalind Franklin University. Nominated by the students for excellence in teaching. May, 2021.
- College of Health Professions Award for Clinical and Basic Science Research – Rosalind Franklin University. Given to one faculty member each year for excellence in research. June 2018.
- Lawrence R. Medoff Award - Rosalind Franklin University. Given to one University faculty member each year for excellence in teaching, research, service and clinical work. June, 2008.
Peer Reviewed Publications
- Mulcahey, P. J., Knott, P. T., Madiraju, A., Haque, N., Haoson, D. S., Bassett, W. P., ... & Betz, R. R. (2021). An inertial sensor-based protocol for spinal range of motion measurements. Studies in health technology and informatics, 280, 136-140.
- Madiraju, A., Mulcahey, P. J., Knott, P. T., Haas, A. R., Cuddihy, L. A., Antonacci, M. D., & Betz, R. R. (2021). Assessing clinical trunk change with surface topography: anterior scoliosis correction as a model to evaluate curve progression. European Spine Journal, 1-7.
- Pasha S, Rajapaske CR, Reddy R, Diebo B, Knott P, Jones BC, Kumar D, Zhu W, Lou E, Shapira N, Noel P, Ho-Fung V, Jaramillo D. Quantitative Imaging of the Spine in Adolescent Idiopathic Scoliosis: shifting the paradigm from diagnostic to comprehensive prognostic evaluation. European J Orthop Surg & Traumatology. Jan 2021 https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00590-021-02883-8.
- Funk PE, Knott P, Burdick L, Roberts M. Development of a novel pathways program for pre-health students by a private four-year university and a private health professions university. J Physician Assist Educ 29(3): 150-153. Sept 2018.
- Welborn M, Farrell S, Knott P, Mayekar E, Mardjetko S. The Natural History of Spinal Deformity in Patients with Coffin-Lowry Syndrome. J Children’s Orthopaedics, 12: 70-75. (2018).
- Negrini S, Donzelli S, Aulisa AG, Czaproski D, Schreiber S, deMayroy JC, Diers H, Grivas TB, Knott P, Kotwicki T, Label A, Marti C, Maruyama T, O’Brien J, Price N, Parent E, Rigo M, Romano M, Stikeleather L, Wynne J, Zaina F. 2016 SOSORT Guidelines: Orthopaedic and Rehabilitation Treatment of Idiopathis Scoliosis During Growth. Scoliosis and Spinal Disorders 13:3 (2018).
- Skorseth P, Knott P. Can Asymmetric Running Patterns be Predicted by Assessment of Asymmetric Standing Posture? A Case Study in Elite College Runners. Journal of Functional Neurology, Rehabilitation, and Ergonomics 7(4): 16-20. (Dec 1, 2017)
- Siljander M, McQuivey K, Gahdhi S, Knott P. The Effect of Patient Positioning During Radiographs On The Resulting Cobb Angle Measurements. Ortho & Rheum Open Access J 7(1): 2017.
- Day CS, Boden SD, Knott PT, O’Rourke NC, Yang BW. Musculoskeletal Workforce Needs: Are Physician Assistants and Nurse Practioners the Solution? J Bone Joint Surg Am (June, 2016). 98(11): e46.
- Knott P, Lonner, B, Smith M, Frommeyer E, Ren Y. Measuring Anterior Trunk Deformity in Scoliosis: Development of Asymmetry Parameters Using Surface Topography. Scoliosis and Spinal Disorders 2016 11(Suppl 2): 32.
- Knott P, Sturm P, Lonner B, Cahill P, Betch M, McCarthy R, Kelly M, Lenke L, Betz R. Multicenter Comparison of 3D Spinal Measurements using Surface Topography to those from Conventional Radiography. Spine Deformity 4(2016) 98-103.
- Draus C, Moravec D, Kopiec A, Knott P. Comparison of Barefoot vs. Shod Gait on Spinal Dynamics Using DIERS Formetric 4D and DIERS Pedoscan Systems. Open Journal of Therapy and Rehabilitation, Vol 3, P70-76. (22 July 2015).
- Zaina F, Romano M, Knott P, deMauroy JC, Grivas T, Kotwicki T, Maruyama T, O’Brien J, Rigo M, Negrini S. Research Quality in Scoliosis Conservative Treatment: State of the Art. Scoliosis (2015) 10:21.
- Marti C, Glassman S, Knott P, Carreon L, Hresko MT. Scoliosis Research Society members attitudes towards physical therapy and physiotherapeutic scoliosis specific exercises for adolescent idiopathic scoliosis. Scoliosis 2015, 10:16.
- Negrini S, Hresko TM, O’Brien J, Price N, SOSORT Board of Directors (Knott P, member), SRS Non-Operative Committee (Knott P, member). Recommendations for research studies on treatment of idiopathic scoliosis: Consensus 2014 between SOSORT and SRS. Scoliosis 2015, 10:8.
- Gipsman A, Rauschert L, Daneshvar M, Knott P. Evaluating the Reproducibility of Motion Analysis Scanning of the Spine During Walking. Advances in Medicine, Vol 2014, http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2014/721829, (17 July, 2014)
- Knott P, Pappo E, Cameron M, deMauroy JC, Rivard C, Kotwicki T, Zaina F, Wynne J, Stikeleather L, Bettany-Saltikov J, Grivas T, Durmala J, Maruyama T, Negrini S, O’Brien JP, Rigo M. SOSORT 2012 Consensus Paper: Reducing X-Ray Exposure in Pediatric Patients With Scoliosis. Scoliosis 2014, 9:4 (25 April 2014).
- Negrini S, DeMayroy JC, Grivas T, Knott P, Kotwicki T, Maruyama T, O’Brien JP, Rigo M, Zaina F. Actual Evidence in the Medical Approach to Adolescents with Idiopathic Scoliosis. Eur J Phys Rehabil Med 50: 87-92. (2014).
- Hansdorfer M, Mardjetko S, Knott P, Thompson S. Lumbar Spondylolisthesis in Down Syndrome: A Cross-Sectional Study at One Institution. Spine Deformity 1:5 (2013) p. 382-388.
- Knott P, Davis S, Harrison A, Larson C. The effect of a unilateral upper extremity load (backpack) on the resulting spinal posture. Scoliosis 2013, 8(suppl 2): O26. (18 Sept 2013).
- Knott P, Stikeleather L (editors). 10th International Conference on Conservative Management of Spinal Deformities. Scoliosis 2013, 8(suppl 2) (18 Sept. 2013).
- Knott P, Anderson C, Werner M, Wilson H, Speers D. The effects of scoliosis bracing on parent and child perception of adolescent’s quality of life. Scoliosis 2013, 8(suppl 1): O56 (3 June 2013).
- Knott P, Techy F, Cotter T, Jansen L, Kove P, Loving J, Poletis K, Mardjetko S. Retrospective analysis of immediate in-brace correction of scoliosis attainable in patients with AIS: a SOSORT initiative. Scoliosis 2013, 8(suppl 1):O49 (3 June 2013).
- Knott P, McGirk M, Markovic A. Radiation exposure to staff members during traction x-rays. Scoliosis 2013, 8(suppl 1): P16 (3 June 2013).
- Knott P, Musto J, Thompson S, Mardjetko S. The relationship between scoliosis and balance in a population of adolescents with AIS. Scoliosis 2013, 8(suppl 1):O5 (3 June 2013).
- Frerich JM, Hertzler K, Knott P, Mardjetko S. Comparison of Radiographic and Surface Topography Measurements in Adolescents with Scoliosis. The Open Orthopaedic Journal, (27 July, 2012) 6: 261-265.
- Negrini S, Aulisa A, Aulisa L, Circo A, deMauroy JC, Durmala J, Grivas T, Knott P, Kotwicki T, Maruyama T, Minozzi S, O’Brien J, Papadopoulos D, Rigo M, Rivard C, Romano M, Wynne, J, Villagrass M, Weiss HR, Zania F. 2011 SOSORT Guidelines: Orthopaedic and Rehabilitation Treatment of Idiopathic Scoliosis During Growth. Scoliosis 2012; 7:3 (20 Jan 2012).
- Knott P, Thompson S, Mardjetko S. A Descriptive Study of Lateral Spondylolisthesis in Patients with Adult Scoliosis. Scoliosis 2012; 7 (Suppl 1): P13 (27 Jan 2012).
- Knott P, Smith K, Mack L, Peters L, Patel N, Thompson S, Mardjetko S. A Comparison of Static vs. Dynamic Surface Topography Measurements in the Evaluation of Scoliosis. Scoliosis 2012; 7 (Suppl 1): P12 (27 Jan 2012).
- Knott P, Thompson S, Mardjetko. A Comparison of Automatic vs. Manual Detection of Anatomic Landmarks During Surface Topography Using the Formetric 4D System. Scoliosis 2012; 7 (Suppl 1): O19 (27 Jan 2012).
- Knott P, Mardjetko S, Tager D, Hund R, Thompson S. The Influence of Body Mass Index (BMI) on the Reproducibility of Surface Topography Measurements. Scoliosis 2012; 7 (Suppl 1): O18 (27 Jan 2012).
- Siljander M, Knott P, Mardjetko S. The Effect of Patient Positioning During Radiographs on the Resulting Cobb Angle Measurements. Scoliosis 2012; 7 (Suppl 1): O12 (27 Jan 2012).
- Cameron M, Knott P. Surface Topography as an Evaluation Tool in Spinal Deformity. Orthopaedia: Sept 2011.
- Perlmuter L, Sarda G, Casavant V, OHara K, Hindes M, Knott P, Mosnaim A. A Review of Orthostatic BP Regulation and its Association with Mood and Cognition. Clinical Autonomic Research (2012) 22:99-107.
- Grivas T, deMauroy JC, Negrini S, Kotwicki T, Zaina F, Wynn J, Stokes I, Knott P, Pizzetti P, Rigo M, Villagrasa M, Weiss HR, Maruyama T. 8th SOSORT Consensus Paper: Terminology – Glossary Including Acronyms and Quotations in use for Conservative Spinal Deformity Treatment. Scoliosis 2010; 5:23.
- Knott P, Mardjetko S, Kim R, Cotter T, Techy F, Rollet M. Comparing Axial Loaded MRI to Standing Radiographs in the Evaluation of AIS. Scoliosis 2010; 5 (Suppl 1): O12 (10 Sept 2010).
- Knott P, Mardjetko S, Rollet M, Baute S, Riemenschneider M, Muncie L. Evaluation of the Reproducibility of the Formetric 4D Measurements for Scoliosis. Scoliosis 2010; 5 (Suppl 1): O10 (10 Sept 2010).
- Knott P, Mardjetko S, Techy, F. The use of the T1 sagittal angle in predicting overall sagittal balance of the spine. Spine J. 2010; 10:11. 994-998.
- Mardjetko S, Knott P, Rollet M, Baute S, Riemenschneider M, Muncie L. Evaluating the Reproducibility of the Formetric 4D Measurements for Scoliosis. Eur Spine J. 2010; 19:Suppl 3. s241-2.
- Knott P, Mardjetko S, Kim R, et al. A comparison of MRI and CT artifact after posterior spinal fusion using three types of metal implants: stainless steel, titanium and vitallium. Spine J. 2010 Sept; 10:9. 789-94.
- Carlson J, Tomkowiak J, Knott P. Simulation based examination in Physician Assistant Education: A comparison of two standard-setting methods. Journal of Physician Assistant Education. 2010; 21:2. 7-14.
- Knott P, Mardjetko S, Dunn M, et al. Evaluating the influence of patient positioning on the accuracy of Ortelius 800 measurements for scoliosis. Scoliosis J. 2009; 4:1: 18.
- de Mauroy JC, Knott P, Grivas T, Tager D, ed. 6th international conference on conservative management of spinal deformities. Scoliosis J. 2009; 4:(Suppl 2).
- Knott P. Postgraduate physician assistant program accreditation: the first year in review. Journal of Physician Assistant Education. 2009; 20:3. 48-50.
- Grivas T, Knott P, King-Schumacher M, ed. 5th international conference on conservative management of spinal deformities. Scoliosis J. 2009; 4:(Suppl 1).
- Knott P, Mardjetko S, Techy F, Dunn M, Pullara T, Kennedy J, McCall T. The use of the T1 tilt angle in predicting overall sagittal balance. Spine J. 2008; 8:5(Suppl). 136S.
- Knott P, Mardjetko S, Nance D, Dunn M. Electromagnetic topographical technique of curve evaluation for adolescent idiopathic scoliosis. 2006; 31:24. 911-915.
- Anick M, Carlson J, Knott P. The effect of post-graduate residency training on physician assistant employment, earnings, and job responsibility. ADVANCE for Physician Assistants. 2003; 11:1. 250-59.
- Fishfader V, Hennig B, Knott, P. Physician assistant student and faculty perceptions of physician assistant residency training programs. Perspectives in PA Education. 2002; 13:1. 34-38.
- Knott P. How does culture influence health care? Physician Assistant. 2002; 26:4. 21-37.
- Knott P, LaBarbera D. Physician assistants: partners in the practice of medicine. Hosp Physician. 2000; 36:3. 67-73.
- Knott P, O’Keeffe G. Medical education for Generation X: teaching and motivating students in a new millennium. Perspectives in PA Education. 1999; 10:3. 135-138.
- Knott P. Learning styles of physician assistant educators. Perspectives in PA Education. 1999; 10:3. 154-157.
- Knott P, Ruroede, K. One solution to managing risk during cutbacks in residency training programs. Risk. 2000; 11:1. 35-48.
- Knott P, Liu XC. Chapter Four: Eliminating 2D Spinal Assessments and Embracing 3D and 4D: Clinical Application of Surface Topography. Pg 75-80. In: Research Into Spinal Deformities, Xue-Cheng Liu and John G Thometz eds. IOS Press, 2021. ISBN 978-1-64368-182-5
- Knott PT. Casting and splinting. In: Dehn, RW, Asprey, DP eds. Essential Clinical Procedures. 4th Philadelphia, PA: WB Saunders, 2020.
- Frosch DR, Knott PT. Casting and splinting. In: Dehn, RW, Asprey, DP eds. Essential Clinical Procedures. 3rd Philadelphia, PA: WB Saunders, 2012.
- Knott P, Riboh M. Chapter 11: Imaging of the chest. In: Frownfelter, D, Dean, E eds. Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Physical Therapy: Evidence to Practice. 5th ed. Philadelphia, PA: Elsevier, 2012.
- Frosch DR, Knott PT. Casting and splinting. In: Dehn, RW, Asprey, DP eds. Essential Clinical Procedures. 2nd Philadelphia, PA: WB Saunders, 2006: 275-294.
- Knott PT. Hip fracture. In: Sajatovic, LS. et al. eds. The Encyclopedia of Aging and Public Health. 1st ed. New York: Springer Publishing Company, 2006: 422-423.
- Knott PT. Imaging of the chest. In: Frownfelter, D, Dean, E eds. Principles and Practice of Cardiopulmonary Physical Therapy. 4th ed. Philadelphia, PA: Elsevier, 2005: 163-168.
- Frosch DR., Knott PT. Casting and splinting. In: Dehn, RW, Asprey, DP eds. Clinical Procedures for Physician Assistants, 1st Philadelphia, PA: WB Saunders, 2001.
- Knott P (ed.), Liu X, Pasha S. Eliminating 2D Spinal Assessments and Embracing 3D and 4D. International Research Society of Spinal Deformity. Live Symposium. January, 2021.
- Knott P (ed.), Mardjetko S, Liu X, Thometz J, Kim R. Strategies for Reducing X-Ray Exposure in Pediatric Spine Patients. North American Spine Society. Online Education CME Course. Published 2012.