John Agboola, MD
In this section
John Agboola, MD
Dr. John Agboola joined the PA program faculty at Rosalind Franklin University in January 2022 as a Clinical Coordinator. He serves as a coordinator with the clinical team and participates in didactic activities both in the classroom and clinical laboratories.
He earned his MBBS at the college of Health Sciences, University of Ilorin and trained as a general surgeon in Kwara, Nigeria where he began his teaching career as Chief Resident, and then as a clinical Instructor at Ekiti State University. While there, he produced a public health radio program in Nigeria for 5 years called “Your Health is Your Responsibility.” He was a visiting fellow in surgical oncology at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center in New York in 2018. Later, he moved to Illinois and took a job as a graduate teaching assistant with the University Advising Center at Western Illinois University.
While working there he earned his Masters of Science Degree in Public Health and became a Certified Health Coach. He then taught in the Department of Health Sciences and Social Work at WIU until taking a position here at Rosalind Franklin University.
His career and teaching philosophy center on caring for the whole person: ensuring the health of the population through preventive medicine; and offering appropriate treatment to the sick. His research publications have focused on public health issues and oncology in the Black African Population, as well as in treatment of the acute abdomen.
- Clinical Coordinator, Rosalind Franklin University of medicine and Science; 2022
- Adjunct Instructor, Western Illinois university, Department of Health Sciences and Social Works; 2021
- Academic Tutor, Western Illinois university, University Academic and Advising Services; 2019-2021
- Clinical Instructor/ Lecturer 1, Ekiti State University, College of medicine; 2012-2016.
- MSHS-Public Health, Western Illinois University, Macomb, IL. May 2021
- MBBS, University of Ilorin, Kwara, Nigeria. October 2001
- Member, America Public Health Association, 2020 to Present.
- Member, Illinois Public Health Association, 2019 to Present.
- International Fellow, American College of Surgeons, 2019 to Present
- Member, World Society of Emergency Surgeons, 2017 to Present
- Fellow, West African College of Surgeons, 2011 to Present
PEER REVIEWED PUBLICATIONS
- Ayosanmi OS, Agboola J, Elijah F, Alaga A, Ogunlade G, Okereke A, Omoregie E, Ajayi A, Omoregie O, and Eze B. (2022). Characterization of child malnutrition among under-five children in Northeastern Nigeria. Endorium J Matern Child Health 2022;7:100010M01OA2022.
- Agodirin O, Olatoke S, Rahman G, Kolawole O, Oguntola S, Olasehinde O, Agboola J, et al. (2021). Determinants of late detection and advanced-stage diagnosis of breast cancer in Nigeria. PLoS ONE 16(11): e0256847. Available at https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0256847
- Agodirin OS, Olatoke SA, Rahman GA, Olaogun JG, Olasehinde O…, Agboola JO et al. Presentation Intervals and the Impact of Delay on Breast Cancer Progression in a Black African Population. BMC, Public Health 2020; 20:962. Available at https://doi.org/10.1186/s12889-020-09074-w
- Agodirin O, Olatoke S, Rahman G, Olaogun J, Kolawole O, Agboola J Et al. Impact of Primary Care Delay on Progression of Breast Cancer in Black African Population: A Multicentred Survey. Hindawi Journal of Cancer Epidemiology vol 2019, no. 2407138, 2019. Available at https://doi.org/10.1155/2019/2407138
- Sartelli M, Baiocchi G, Di Saverio S, Ferrara F, Labricciosa F, Agboola J Et al. Prospective Observational Study on acute Appendicitis Worldwide (POSAW). World Journal of Emergency Surgery 2018; 13:19.
- Agodirin O, Olatoke S, Rahman G, Kolawole O, Oguntola S, Agboola J Et al. Delay between Breast Cancer Detection and Arrival at Specialist Clinic Preliminary Revelations of Multicentred Survey in Nigeria. Texila International Journal of Public Health Volume. 2017; 5:4. DOI:10.21522/TIJPH.2013.05.04.Art053
- Odebode Timothy Olugbenga, Olatoke Samuel Adegboyega, Rahman Ganiyu Adebisi, Agboola John Owoade et al. Breast Cancer Metastasis to the Cerebellum: A Rare Event in Our Setting, the Adverse Impact of Late Presentation-Case Report. ARC Journal of Clinical Case Reports 2017; 3:5-8. Available at https://dx.doi.org/10.20431/2455-9806.0303002
- Massimo S, Fikri M. A, Fausto C, Ewen A. G, Agboola J Et al. Global validation of the WSES Sepsis Severity Score for patients with complicated intra-abdominal infections: a prospective multicentre study (WISS Study). World Journal of Emergency Surgery 2015, 10:61. Available at http://www.wjes.org/content/10/1/61
- Agodirin O, Olatoke S, Rahman G, Adeoti M, Agboola J et al. How Effective is the Treatment of Locally Advanced and Metastatic Breast Cancer in Developing Centres? A Retrospective Review. Ethiop J Health Sci. 2015; 25:337-44. DOI:10.4314/ejhs.v25i4.7
- Popoola AA, Adewole A, Ibikunle DE, Agboola JO, Buhari MO. Recurrent Urinary Retention in a Woman from Perforation of an Ovarian Teratoma into the Urinary Bladder. Current Report 2014 URL: http://dx.doi.org/10.4172/23274360.1000113
- Agboola JO, Olatoke SA, Rahman GA. Pattern and Presentation of Acute Abdomen in a Nigerian Teaching Hospital. Niger Med J. 2014; 55:266-70. DOI:10.4103/0300-1652.132068
- Olatoke S, Adeoti M, Agodirin O, Ajape A, Agboola J. Direct Current Electrotherapy for Internal Haemorrhoids: experience in a tertiary health institution. Pan African Medical Journal. 2014; 18:145. [DOI:10.11604/pamj.2014.18.145.3119]
- Agboola JO, Akintayo AA, Ade-Ojo IP, Ohunakin AK, Alegbeleye TJ. Diagnostic Laparoscopy to the rescue: The first experience in EKSUTH. SJMRP 2013; 2:69-71
- Agodirin O, Olatoke S, Rahman G, Adeoti M, Akande H, Habeeb O, Agboola J, Adeyeye A. Realization of Target Clinical Endpoint for Initiation of Neoadjuvant Chemotherapy among Locally Advanced Breast Cancer Patients in Nigeria. Niger J Surgery. 2018;24(1):63
- Odebode TO, Olatoke SA, Rahman GA, Afolayan EAO, Agboola JO et al. Solitary Metastatic Invasive Ductal Breast Carcinoma in the Cerebellum: A case Report. The Nig. Postgraduate Med Journal 2010; 17(suppl):31. Atiba AS, Oparinde DP, Babatunde OA, ‘Niran-Atiba TA, Jimoh AK, Adepeju AA. Liver Enzymes and Lipid Profile among Type 2 Diabetic Patients in Osogbo, Nigeria. Greener Journal of Medical Sciences. 2013;3(5):174–178.
- Agboola JO, Wen M. Exploration of the Factors Influencing Mammography Screening Participation. Presented at the Western Illinois University Graduate Research Conference, Macomb, United States. March 2019.
- Agboola JO. Prostate Cancer – General Overview. A Seminar delivered at the weekly meetings of the Full Gospel Businessmen’s Fellowship, Nigeria, Ilorin GRA Chapter at Kingstone Grand Suites, Ilorin, Nigeria. On 12th and 19th March, 2018.
- Agboola JO. Management of Common Surgical Emergencies. A seminar paper delivered at the Annual General Meeting and Scientific Conference of the National Association of Government General Medical and Dental Practitioners. On 25th March 2017
- Agboola JO. Hepatocellular Carcinoma: Are we ready? Presented at The Annual Conference of The Society of Gastroenterologists and Hepatologists in Nigeria (SOGHIN), Lagos, Nigeria. July 21-22, 2016
- Agboola JO. Unusual Presentations of Intestinal Obstruction. Presented at The Annual Conference of the Society of Gastroenterologists and Hepatologists in Nigeria (SOGHIN), Kwara, Nigeria. June 8 -11, 2015
- Agboola JO. Acute Abdomen: The Management. A paper presented at the Health Seminar organized by the Nigerian Medical Association, Ilorin and facilitated by the Life /fount Hospital, Ilorin, Nigeria. On April 29, 2015.
- Agboola JO. Self-Inflicted gunshot injury. Presented at the 54th Annual Conference of the West African College of Surgeons, Kumasi, Ghana. Feb 20-26, 2014.
- Agboola JO. Triple Pathology in a Patient with Acute Abdomen. Presented at the 54th Annual Conference of the West African College of Surgeons, Kumasi, Ghana. Feb 20-26, 2014.