In this section
Charles P. Barsano, MD, PhD
Dr. Charles Barsano received his PhD and his medical degree from the University of Chicago Pritzker School of Medicine in 1974 and 1975, respectively. He completed an internship and residency in internal medicine at the Barnes-Jewish Hospital in St. Louis. He also completed a fellowship in endocrinology at the University of Chicago Medical Center.
As a Graduate Medical Education (GME) advisor, Dr. Barsano assists in the management of Chicago Medical School's residencies and fellowships (e.g., accreditation, billing). He is currently affiliated with the Captain James A. Lovell Federal Health Care Center, where he is a staff physician specializing in endocrinology.
Dr. Barsano served as Associate Chief of Staff for Education at the North Chicago VA Medical Center from 1991 to 1997. His leadership roles at Chicago Medical School have included Executive Vice Chair of the Department of Medicine (1994 - 2010), Senior Associate Dean for Clinical Affairs (1997 - 2010), Acting Dean (1998 - 1999), Interim Dean (2001 - 2003), and Acting Chair of the Department of Cellular & Molecular Pharmacology (2009 - 2010).
His research interests include basic physiology and pathophysiology of thyroid function and disease.
- Adimala, L, Gollapalli, R, Karam, D, Tasneem, S, Jamil, I and Barsano, CP. Patterns of Anti-Thyroid Antibody Positivity Among Types of Benign and Malignant Thyroid Nodules. VA National Research Week [Poster Session], Capt. James A. Lovell Federal Health Care Center, May 23-24, 2016, North Chicago, IL.
- Sidhu, S, Nellaiappan, V, Gupta, A, Karam, D, Jamil, I and Barsano, CP. The Source(s) of Benign-Appearing Follicular Cells (BAFC) in Fine Needle Thyroid Aspirations (FNA): What is the Contribution of Extra-Nodular Tissue? 98th Annual Meeting of The Endocrine Society, Apr. 2, 2016, Boston.
- Nellaiappan, V, Sidhu, S, Gupta, A, Iyer, V, Sridhar, P, Theckedath, B and Barsano, CP. The Predictive Value of Ultrasonographically Determined Dimensional Ratios of Benign and Malignant Thyroid Nodules. 96th Annual Meeting of The Endocrine Society, Jun. 23, 2014, Chicago.
- Sidhu, S, Sridhar, P and Barsano, CP. A Novel Technique for Making Accurate Frequency Distribution Projections for Non-Normally Distributed, Positively Skewed Data Without Using Data Transformation. Hines Veterans Hospital/Capt. James A. Lovell Federal Health Care Center Research Day, May 14, 2013, Abstract 5.
Awards and Accomplishments
- Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society, 1997
- Lawrence R. Medoff Award, Chicago Medical School, 1994
- Sigma Xi Honorary Research Society, 1993
- VA Career Development Award, 1981-1984