College of Pharmacy
In this section
HelixTalk Episode #86 - Everything You Need to Know About Insulins - In One Shot!
Date posted: October 30, 2018, 6:00 am
In this episode, we discuss a broad overview of insulin topics ranging from the various types of insulins, dosage forms, brand/generic names, pharmacokinetic nuances, injection technique, and a wide variety of clinical pearls.
- There are variety of basal and bolus insulins available to help control blood glucose in patients with diabetes. The strengths/concentration within each type vary as well.
- Insulin dose need is different for type-1 and type-2 patients; it is important to understand that treatment is individualized for each patient.
- Sliding scale insulin dosing is a reactive approach for glycemic management mainly in hospital settings. Use should be discouraged in the outpatient setting.
- There are a variety of insulin delivery options available. It is important to provide patient education on proper injection technique, storage, and monitoring of the treatment.
- PL Detail-Document, Comparison of Insulins and Injectable Diabetes Meds. Pharmacist’s Letter/Prescriber’s Letter. March 2015.
- Professional Resource, How to Switch Insulin Products. Pharmacist’s Letter/Prescriber’s Letter. December 2016.
- Davies MJ, D’Alessio DA, Fradkin J, et al. Management of Hyperglycemia in Type 2 Diabetes, 2018. A Consensus Report by the American Diabetes Association (ADA) and the European Association for the Study of Diabetes (EASD). Diabetes Care. 2018. Available from http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/early/2018/09/27/dci18-0033. Accessed 4 October 2018.