College of Pharmacy
In this section
HelixTalk Episode #60 - How to get your voice heard? - Pearls of Professional Advocacy
Date posted: May 2, 2017, 6:00 am
In this episode, we discuss the concept of professional advocacy, with a particular focus on how to advocate for the profession of pharmacy and what tools and organizations are available to assist in being an advocate.
- Be involved and stay updated about pertinent health care and pharmacy legislative issues.
- There are many ways you can help advocate. Be proactive in reaching out to your lawmakers by either attending legislative days or calling, emailing, or meeting them in person. Be available to serve as a voice for the profession when lawmakers ask for input.
- Use the tools and tips available by the national and local professional pharmacy organizations in making your advocacy efforts successful.
- Advocating for the profession is advocating for the patient care.
Additional Resources for Advocacy
- ASHP's Advocacy and Issues (https://www.ashp.org/Advocacy-and-Issues)
- APhA's Pharmacists Provide Care (http://www.pharmacistsprovidecare.com)
- Who are my elected officials?