College of Pharmacy
In this section
HelixTalk Episode #133 - Tell Me More: Exploring Covid 19 Vaccine Hesitancy and Solutions!
Date posted: July 13, 2021, 6:00 am
In this episode, we will explore depths of COVID 19 vaccine hesitancy - what it is, how to identify and address it, and some helpful resources.
- When a patient seems hesitant to consider the COVID-19 vaccine, explore their hesitations further with a simple “why” or “tell more more” question.
- Understand the root of hesitancy and provide personalized responses using motivational interviewing. Key concepts of motivational interviewing include asking open-ending questions, asking the patient to share their concerns, reflective listening, acknowledging without judgement, and asking for permission to share information.
- The goal of a vaccine hesitancy conversation is not necessarily to have the patient receive the vaccine today; the goal is to move the patient one step closer to validated facts (combating misinformation) and consideration of receiving the vaccine.
- State of Covid-19 vaccines: https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2021/01/28/960901166/how-is-the-covid-19-vaccination-campaign-going-in-your-state
- Estimates of Vaccine Hesitancy for Covid-19: https://data.cdc.gov/stories/s/Vaccine-Hesitancy-for-COVID-19/cnd2-a6zw/
- Covid-19 vaccine discrepancies: https://www.kff.org/coronavirus-covid-19/issue-brief/latest-data-on-covid-19-vaccinations-race-ethnicity/