Skip to Main Content

Common Questions

Where is the Registrar’s Office located?

The Registrar’s Office is located in the Health Sciences Building, Room L.687. Our office hours are M-F 8:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m..

Our address is: Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science, Attn: Registrar, 3333 Green Bay Road, North Chicago, IL 60064. Our email address is:

What is Student Self-Service?

Student Self Service is an interactive web application where students can plan and register for courses. Student Self Service is accessible 24/7. View Student Self-Service Tutorial.

Where can I find my RFU ID number?

You can find your RFU Student ID under your User Profile in Student Self-Service.

  • Log-in to Student Self-Service
  • Click the User Profile tab on the top right side of the screen under your username
  • You will be able to locate your RFU ID Number under your name

How do I update my address, phone number, and emergency contact information?

Log into Student Self-Service, click on your username in the right corner of the page under “User Profile”. This information must be updated or confirmed to begin registration each Quarter. Please be sure to update this information whenever there is a change.

When is the first day of each Quarter?

The start and end dates of the Quarters can be found on the Academic Calendar.

Where can I find the Academic Catalog?

Academic Catalogs

When do I register?

Registration opens 49 days (7 weeks) before the start of the Quarter and must be completed 30 days before the Quarter begins. Our office sends out an email to notify students when registration is open. There are three weeks of allotted time for quarterly registrations to be completed in a timely manner on Student Self-Service.

Why can’t I see my registered courses in Brightspace/D2L?

Courses do not open until the first day of the Quarter. However, some instructors will open their classes the weekend before the Quarter starts.

How do I drop a course?

Students may drop a course during the add/drop period, which is the first week of the quarter. If you wish to drop a course, the first thing you should do is contact the course instructor and the department informing them of your intentions. Upon their approval you must complete a request to Drop a Course. This form will require the instructor’s signature.

How can I apply for a deferment?

You may be eligible to defer payment on prior education loans while you are enrolled at least half-time as a student at RFU. You must contact your lender or loan servicer to determine if you qualify for a student deferment based on your enrollment. Deferment will not take effect until after you have matriculated on the first day of school, as your status as an enrolled student begins and can be verified at that point.

The Registrar's Office updates enrollment information for all students to the National Student Loan Clearinghouse once a month. New students should allow several weeks for your lender or loan servicer to receive notification of your new enrollment from the Clearinghouse.

Students should be aware of a delay with some loan servicers, but all deferments should be retroactively applied back to the start of term date once they have verified information. New students are advised to be patient as this matter usually resolves itself.

Most lenders and loan servicers update their information from the Clearinghouse automatically. However, you may need to contact your lender or loan servicer to request a deferment or to notify them that we use the Clearinghouse and that they should check for enrollment information to appear there within the first few weeks of school.

If a month has passed and there is an issue such as the lender or loan servicer is unable to see your information on the Clearinghouse or they need more information, please contact the Registrar's Office who will see if more information is required and will work to resolve the issue.

How do I request a letter of enrollment verification?

You may place a request for a Letter of Enrollment Verification via the National Student Clearinghouse. Please remember that your official status as a student does not begin until matriculation.

How do I request an official transcript?

You may place a Transcript Request via the National Student Clearinghouse. The transcript shows all courses registered and grades that have been submitted to date.

How can I see my current GPA?

You may see your current GPA on Student Self-Service based on letter grades submitted to date.

Will my transcript show my GPA?

The GPA does not show on the transcript unless requested, and only if you are in one program (please note that CMS students do not have a GPA calculation). Transcripts of students in more than one program show the cumulative GPA for all programs together and is therefore not a correct GPA calculation.

CMS students are assigned a Basic Science Tally after their second year has been completed based on the raw scores from their basic science courses weighted by credit hours. After the third year a Clerkship Tally is calculated, as well as a Third-Year Total Tally (which averages the Basic Science and Clerkship Tallies). CMS uses these for various purposes such as assigning distinctions, AOA, etc.

More information on exactly how the Tallies are calculated can be found in the CMS section of our Academic Catalog. More information on how the Tallies are used can be obtained by consulting the CMS Student Affairs office, who usually provide the Tally to students after it has been calculated by the Registrar’s Office.

How do I request my GPA if I am in more than one program?

You may submit a request for a GPA Letter per program via the National Student Clearinghouse.

How can I find out my Class Rank?

Only students in Scholl are ranked at the end of the first and second years, and after the capstones have been completed for the entire class in the third year. You may submit a request for a GPA/Rank Letter via the National Student Clearinghouse.

What do I do if my name changes?

The Registrar’s Office processes name changes. A Name Change Form must be completed and submitted to the Registrar’s Office, Room L.687, along with the required documents. You will receive an email from our Office once the change has been made.

I have more questions, where can I go to find out other information?

You may find other helpful information on our Registrar's Page. And be sure to check our postings on Engage!