8/17/2017: Applicants, please do not send application via email, fax or regular mail to the Program Director or Program Administrator. Be assured that if you have sent your application via ERAS, we will receive your application. Due to the high number of emails, faxes and regular mail we receive, we will be unable to review any application materials sent outside of ERAS. Thank you for your understanding.
Interviews start in November and end in January. Interviews are by invitation only.
Thank you for your interest in residency training at Chicago Medical School! We look forward to receiving your completed application. Please note that applications are only accepted via ERAS. Applications sent via email, fax, or regular mail will not be reviewed. Please be assured that if you have sent your application via ERAS, we have received it. Applications are reviewed when all required documents (see below) have been received.
Applicant Selection Procedures and Requirements – 2017-18
We are offering 10 categorical positions for the 2018 match.
Applications will be reviewed when all required documents (see below) have been received, beginning on September 15th. Interviews will take place from November 2017 through January 2018.
The deadline for submitting a completed application is December 15, 2017.
Preference will be given to U.S. Citizens and Permanent Residents.
For those who require a training visa, we sponsor only the J1 visa. No exceptions.
Step 2 score (CS and CK) is required for applicants who have already graduated from medical school and applicants currently enrolled in a non-U.S. medical school. We will review applications and offer interviews to current U.S. medical students without a Step 2 score; however, a passing score for Step 2 CS and CK must be on file in order to be considered for our rank order list.
Preferred candidates would be those who have graduated no longer than five (5) years prior to application date.
Required Documents for ALL Applicants
Selective Service Registration
Male applicants who are U.S. citizens or permanent residents must have registered with the U.S. Selective Service System between the ages of 18-26. Male, non-U.S. citizen applicants who entered the United States after age 26 will be required to obtain a Status Information Letter from Selective Service indicating exemption from registration. For complete information, visit www.sss.gov.
ERAS Common Application Form
- Curriculum Vitae
- Dean’s Letter (MSPE)
- 3 letters of recommendation
- Personal statement
- Medical school transcripts
- USMLE or COMLEX transcripts
- Step 1 score
International Medical Graduates
In order to be considered for an interview, International Medical Graduates must meet the following criteria:
- Step 1 score – Must have a 3-digit score of at least 205 on first attempt
- Step 2 CK score – Must have a 3-digit score of at least 205 on first attempt
- Step 2 CS – Must have passed on first attempt
- Clinical experience - U.S. clinical experience is required. We prefer this to be hands-on patient care, though observerships and research are acceptable. At least one letter of recommendation must be from a U.S. clinical experience.
- Language - Must be fluent in spoken and written English
- ECFMG Status Report – Please note that you must be eligible for an ECFMG certificate in order to apply. Graduates must have ECFMG certification on file prior to rank order submission. Current students do not need to be ECFMG-certified by the rank order date though they must obtain their certificate prior to July 1. For information on how to become ECFMG certified, please visit http://www.ecfmg.org/certification/index.html.